Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trojan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve,G

Steve,G Report 2 Feb 2008 11:18

I JUST HAD THE TROJAN VIRUS POP UP ON MY SCREEN.

Obviously not fixed the PROBLEM yet!!!!

Ingrid in Oz

Ingrid in Oz Report 2 Feb 2008 11:20

My symantec protection blocked one earlier, first time I have got it. Hopefully the last.

cheers

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 2 Feb 2008 11:48

Had it twice yesterday, whilst reading Trying to Find messages and Tips Board.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 2 Feb 2008 12:43

Yes, I had it yesterday and again just a few minutes ago.

Kathlyn

Whirley

Whirley Report 2 Feb 2008 13:24

I have had it twice so far in the last couple of days. Thankfully my Norton anti virus has got rid of it...

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Feb 2008 13:52

It's been happening for a few days now. Luckily Norton is dealing with it at the moment (just had the same thing happen a few minutes ago), but GR need to be trying to sort this out too.

Kath. x

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 2 Feb 2008 14:25

Hi all, see Errol's thread on General, GR Response - and help, he is asking for screenshots to send to GR, they are aware and are trying to sort it, but they may take a while, it will not be easy to fix.

DONT Panic, if you are getting the warnings, your anti virus/spyware programe is doing its job.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 2 Feb 2008 17:15

I’ve had it twice but only after I have had an e-mail from GR about a possible contact.

No problem when I log on from my favorites.

moe

moe Report 2 Feb 2008 19:43

I think if you come on site with genes go DOT COM instead of DOT CO DOT UK no adverts, seems to work so far.

minnie

Heather

Heather Report 2 Feb 2008 20:12

Dave over on Family Tree Forum has put on a thread how to block that site getting onto your puter :copy and paste this link to the directions:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/general-discussion/38396-has-anyone-been-gr-today-5.html

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 3 Feb 2008 04:05

I’m still getting it and I’m using the DOT COM site and there are adverts on this site.

Malcolm

Huia

Huia Report 3 Feb 2008 06:02

I also use the dotcom site, and have ads, but to the best of my knowledge I have not been attacked (touch wood).
Huia.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 3 Feb 2008 08:17

I was high jacked the other day to another site from GR but fortunately Norton's blocked it. Since then I've done Norton's and Spybot scans picking up all-sorts which have fortunately been fixed.
Just come into GR tonight (Australian time)and had a warning from Spybot. Hmmm!! It's time GR got this fixed once and for all.
Gerry

Heather

Heather Report 3 Feb 2008 11:39

If you download Mozilla Firefox as your browser instead of IE you can use the ad block add on and it stops all the ads on here.

Dave has given instructions at this thread:on how to stop the trojan jumping onto your puter:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/general-discussion/38396-has-anyone-been-gr-today-5.html

Horatia

Horatia Report 4 Feb 2008 15:01

You can disable pop up ads on IE too. Tools/Pop Up Blocker in Menu - ensure it is turned on rather than off.

On IE, you can also block third party cookies (ad cookies) downloading onto your PC.

Details with diagram on this thread.

http://forum.yourfamilytreemag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7768

Cheers, Horatia

Horatia

Horatia Report 4 Feb 2008 15:05

IE also has an ad blocker in IE7 Pro. I haven't used this as yet myself though - waiting to get feedback on what it's like!

http://forum.yourfamilytreemag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7788

Cheers, Horatia

DavidB0745

DavidB0745 Report 4 Feb 2008 23:54

Hi all

2 simple ways of protecting yourselves is by ensuring that your Operating System is patched up (Microsoft sends out Monthly up-dates FOC) and you have an up to date Anti Virus/Anti Spam/Anti Malware program installed and running. Other methods mentioned above are also all good ways of protecting your Computer from an attack.

Virus and Malware problems are improved every minute by those who delight in this form of activity so you need to be continually vigilant in regards to ensuring that all of your "protection" is current.

The existing problem is one that has occurred via an external Banner Advert that made it's way through GR Firewalls and frontline defences. It was random in it's selection so not all users were compromised. Once installed, the only way that you know that you have have been "attacked" is if your protection picks it up.

GR, once made aware of the problem, fixed it by removing the Banner Advert. And this is another way of fixing problems. Let the GR Support team know when there is a problem and they can then deal with it ASAP.

Hope this is of some help

David