Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Catholic Records in London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RobG

RobG Report 2 Feb 2008 19:05

Does anyone on here know where Catholic Parish Records for London, specifically the Brompton Oratory, are kept? I had hoped to see them when I visit the LMA in a couple of weeks, but I've been told they may not be there and I could find them mentioned on their website (or am I just being dim?).
The timeframe I'm particularly after is late 19th/early 20th century, as these rellies seem to have managed to avoid the civil registration!!

Cheers

Rob

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 2 Feb 2008 23:17

Hi Rob

Have you found them on any census records?

If you give me some details of where they are, names etc on the census records, I will check on findmypast for you

Regards...Teresa

RobG

RobG Report 3 Feb 2008 18:51

Hi Teresa,

I think I have found them on the 1901 and 1891 censuses, but need to confirm they are the right ones. With no Civil Registration to go to (they seem to have a family tradition of avoiding that!!) I want to check the church records but am not sure were the Catholic ones would be.

I have access to FMP and have had no joy there either, so want the church records to take me forward on this branch.

Rob

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 3 Feb 2008 20:41

Try asking on the Tips Board for Catholic churches in the area..where they are living on the census records.

If you have seen the actual images of the census records they should have the street names in a town or city.

If they lived in a village..then that might prove a bit more difficult finding the correct Catholic Church that the family attended.

RobG

RobG Report 3 Feb 2008 21:45

Hi Teresa,

The local church, and the one that the few events that did make it on to Civil Registration were held at, was Brompton Oratory in Kensington, Central London, hence the title of this thread.

I'm hoping that someone else has tried to find these records and may know where they are held, as they don't seem to show up in he LMA's online index.

Rob

RobG

RobG Report 4 Feb 2008 14:09

n

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Feb 2008 15:10

Rob, don't know if this helps but the Oratory is really the Church of The Immaculate Heart of Mary and comes under the diocese of Westminster.

The web address is http://www.rcdow.org.uk/oratory
The e-mail address is [email protected]

M. Steer

RobG

RobG Report 4 Feb 2008 15:45

Margaret, Thanks for the info, I'll give them a try.

Rob