Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

4 Different surnames?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Feb 2008 00:28

On birth register on Ancestry a child has 4 different surnames and 10 entries.

Most of the entries are 1994, some 1999.
I believe they are all the same child.

I am wondering what name to record on my tree.

The child's mother's birth surname was changed when she was young...by Deed Poll I believe( the whole family changed)
This new name is not one of the surnames.

The name shown as mother's maiden name....and also one of the surnames, ..is in fact the surname of the mother's stepfather, - a name she changed to when her mother remarried.

I'm lost on this one.

Gwyn

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 3 Feb 2008 00:39

I'd list under the Dad's surname or what ever name the child uses now if you know it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Feb 2008 00:51

Thanks for that Claire.

I think I am going to have to ask.

I just checked for the child's parents marriage, as I thought they were unmarried when child was born( explains re registration)
.....Father is listed with 2 surnames and child's mother married using her stepfather's surname....

A phone call to a closer relative is needed, I think.

Gwyn

JMW

JMW Report 3 Feb 2008 13:07

If a mother is using more than one name at the time of a babies birth, and has used other names in the past, the software used in registration in 1994 will automatically index all of these. If the child was subsequently re-registered then there will be other entries also.
This can also apply to the father who may have used other names. Although a deed poll removes the need to give previous names, most registrars of recent times try to persuade parents to list their other/previous names to help family historians.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Feb 2008 20:24

That makes sense.
Unfortunately in this case the information hinders really.
The baby's mother's maiden name was certainly not correct....and her deed poll name was not even mentioned..

Perhaps the question the mother was asked was ..What was your previous name?...rather than What was your name at birth?, ...( or similar)

Gwyn