Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Not nice" !!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 3 Feb 2008 16:10

I have the parish records for Aspley Guise in Bedfordshire and whilst going through it I found the following:-

1631 December 24th baptism of Alice, daughter of Peter & Agnes Crowley "an incestuos bastard"

Time have changed.

Kathlyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2008 16:16

They certinly believed in "telling it like it is" in those days!!!

Kath. x

Desperate Housewife ♥

Desperate Housewife ♥ Report 3 Feb 2008 16:31

I saw parish records where the unmarried mother of a child had the word "whore" written next to her name and further down the page we had a "strumpet"
Vicar didn't mince his words then!

Karen x

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 3 Feb 2008 16:38

Good grief, that's awful. :-((
x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2008 17:05

It isn't really awful. The words have always had a proper meaning in the English language - and people used them with their proper meanings in those days.

It's only nowadays that we use them as terms of abuse.

Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Feb 2008 18:32

Perhaps we should bring some of these terms back into use, and stop pretending they don't exist.