Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

im stuck

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joy

joy Report 7 Feb 2008 21:57

Hi
Im quite new to this,only started last january went through the spending the next 3 mths on the computer,till 2 in the morning spent small fortune researching then got stuck. I keep coming back but i really dont no where to go from here.I was hoping somone could advise me the best way to go about it.
The census only go back so far so how do i research further back?

I have one relli who appears on a censu as the 12yr son but is not on it before --- how do i even start trying to find out where he was at other times?

Do i concentrate on one person and work from there?

IHope someone can offer some advice.
joy

And WHY did they use the same names over and over again ? If a child died in infancy why did they name the next one the same? So confusing.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 7 Feb 2008 22:21

There is such a thing as a naming pattern, it doesn't always work but it is a rough guide-

First Daughter was named after the Mother's Mother
Second Daughter was named after the Father's Mother
Third Daughter was named after the Mother
Fourth Daughter was named after the Mother's oldest Sister
First Son was named after the Father's Father
Second Son was named after the Mother's Father
Third Son was named after the Father
Fourth Son was named after the Father's oldest Brother

If a child from within this pattern died, often the next baby was given the same name. It's strange when you first come across this but you get used to it.

Prior to the 1841 census you will need parish records but you may find the IGI useful. At the top of this board is a sticky thread which expalins all about it.

Linda

Linda Report 7 Feb 2008 22:23

Hi Joy, I've just nudge 13 commandments, have a little read it will keep you sane knowing that everyone is in the same boat plus give you a laugh.

joy

joy Report 7 Feb 2008 23:00

Hi
Thanks for all your replys. I will have to sort out all my 'notes' , never actully got round to sorting them out in order. I could definitly do with some help on my missing 12 yr old, as i said i dont no where to start.
The 13 commandments is good, very true.
Also ive found ( as im sure some of you have)the oldest daughter sometimes has the mothers maiden name as a middle name!!!!

Thanks again will be back soon with some infomation and hopefully some nice person will help me.
joy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Feb 2008 23:13

Re: your missing 12 year old. have you tried the previous census just using his first name, year and place of birth and just parents' first names? It's probably just mistranscribed. If you see one that's close, look at the original.