Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sorted thanks, Canadian army records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 7 Feb 2008 23:25

Hi my husbands grandfather was sent to canada with the barnados when both his parents died. He later joined the canadian army and was stationed over here in Haslemere, England. I wonder if it is possible to get hold of any info on this at all he is still alive and knows his army number and recieves a canadian pension due to being made deaf by a blast and having to leave. With thanks
Clare

victoria meldrew

victoria meldrew Report 7 Feb 2008 23:44

Clare

Not sure if this will help but if he served in the 2nd world war he will have to apply for the infomation
as he is still living.
Reason I know is I tried to get my late sisters service record and was told it had to be a direct relative. So my nephew would have to apply and he not interested in Family research.
Have you tried the Canadian Archives on line.

Clare

Clare Report 7 Feb 2008 23:50

Hi I know he would be happy for me to get the information just don't know how to go about it. It was in the second world war he worked on the ambulances. Where do you apply to?
Clare

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Feb 2008 23:52

If it's the First World War his attestation papers will be here:

http://search-recherche.collectionscanada.ca/archives/search.jsp?Language=eng

Click on "Soldiers of First World War"
Also click on "Home Children" since he was a Barnados child.

Oops, just read your second message, it was WW2.
Still try the "Home Children"

Clare

Clare Report 7 Feb 2008 23:55

Hi Margaret,
He wasn't born until 1914 so it was the second world war. I have looked on the home children site but couldn't find anything percific on him. Although it made very interesting reading. Father and sister died 1923 mother died 1925 so I should imagine he went out to canada about this time.Thanks
Clare

victoria meldrew

victoria meldrew Report 7 Feb 2008 23:58

Clara

Have you tried the Red Cross.
Or Try Nation Archive see if they have any record if he served over here.
if you buy Family History magazines you might like to put your question there they often have experts on military things

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Feb 2008 00:00

On that same site I gave you, there are immigration records between 1925-1935. Wonder if he might be there.

Clare

Clare Report 8 Feb 2008 00:05

Hi Victoria,
Weren't the red cross just british then? I don't know much about them but i know he didn't sign up with the british army only the canadians.
Hi Margaret will take a look at that site for immigration records, Thanks
Clare

Clare

Clare Report 8 Feb 2008 00:14

Hi I have just been sent the following web address to order info on canadian records.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

So will go and take a look thanks for everyones help tonight.
Clare