Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland - Death before 1855

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 8 Feb 2008 07:57

Does anyone out there know of a website where a death before 1855 in Scotland is recorded ? Scotlands People only records deaths after 1855. I am now stuck not being able to go back any further. Thanks. Caz

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 8 Feb 2008 10:16

Hi Caz

I don't think that you're likely to find many pre-1855 Scottish deaths, online or otherwise. This is from the FAQ on ScotlandsPeople:

"Is there any information regarding deaths before 1855?"

"There are, at present, no national death & burial indexes for the pre-1855 period. Recording of deaths & burials in the old parish registers was patchy and often non-existent. Sometimes the only record of a death will be the recording of hire of the mortcloth (pall) to cover the coffin before burial. For information on the existence or otherwise of deaths & burials for particular parishes, see Extant OPR's. If you wish a search to be conducted for a pre-1855 death, details of costs and how to apply are available on the GROS website. Be aware, however, that a record, if found, may only contain, at most, name, place and date."

dutch

dutch Report 8 Feb 2008 10:27

Hi Caz
ive been looking for the same as you try asking on scotfamtree they mybe be able to help or put you in the right direction
Dutch

Carole

Carole Report 8 Feb 2008 15:27

Hi Richard and Dutch
Thanks very much for your useful replies. Regards Caz.

Alexander

Alexander Report 8 Feb 2008 16:49

Carole, I am going to the Mitchell Library Glasgow tomorrow. If it is a West of Scotland death it might be recorded. Can you give more details.
Alex

Carole

Carole Report 8 Feb 2008 22:35

Hi Alexander
Thanks for your offer. The person concerned is William Jardine born c.1777, in Closeburn, Dumfriesshire. I am actually trying to find out who is parents were. I thought if I could find a reference to his death it might give me some information about his family. So far as i can tell he married Jean Laurie also of Closeburn, but I don't know when. They had several children - Peter, William, Thomas, Jean Kirkpatrick, and I think another daughter.
If you can help that would be great.
Thanks.
Caz.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 8 Feb 2008 23:04

Hey Caz

If you have relatives in Dumfries, this website might be of some help

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/default.aspx

Both my Dickson lines originated from Closeburn...one of each family married the other (after moving to Edinburgh)...similar names each side...nightmare.

ladybird1300

ladybird1300 Report 9 Feb 2008 13:52

I've emailed Scotland's People about this issue & they say these death records will be comming on line, unfortunately they couldn't tell me when, watch this space.......

BessofDorset

BessofDorset Report 10 Feb 2008 14:56

Hi Carole-If you have an idea of where the people you are looking for lived ,a lot of information can be got from grave stones -check with the local Family history society to see if the memorial inscriptions have been transcribed and possibly published -or visit the area and tour the grave yards! for my family I found a grave stone listing 3 generations -Cyndi's List gives all Family History Soc.-Good Luck Heather

Alexander

Alexander Report 17 Feb 2008 01:02

Carole,
Found what you are looking for. To summarise the gravestone at Dalgarnock Kirkyard near Closeburn village.
William Jardine died Closeburn 28/01/1841 aged 63. Jean Lawrie spouse to the above William died 22/10/1836 aged 54.
Peter Jardine son of the above William died 07/06/1823 aged 14.
Thomas Jardine son of the above William died Thornhill on 01/08/1864 aged 52.
Also Margaret Stewart wife of Thomas Jardine died Rosebank on 28/04/1848 aged 49.
Alex

Alexander

Alexander Report 17 Feb 2008 21:24

Hi Helen,
We have a lots of information in the Mitchell Library. It is a wonderous place.If they would give board and lodgings I would be the first to apply.The info I have just passed on is from the work of the volunteers of the Dumfries Society, so I take no credit.
Alex

Carole

Carole Report 31 Aug 2008 16:26

Dear Alexander

You must think me really rude for not replying and thanking you for the research you did and info you got from the Mitchell Library. I had completely forgotten that I had put out a request for this. I was just going through my threads and I have just found your reply with really helpful information.

Is it possible for me to access other family information on line ?

William 1777 was my gr x 3 grandfather and Margaret Stewart was my great great grandmother who died quite young.

William had a son named William who was born in 1806 and I am wondering if there is any record of his death.

Thank you so much once again for this informatioon and for your trouble.

Regards Caz.

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Sep 2008 20:29

There's an interesting series of 5 min videos on Glasgow's Mitchell Library and its genealogical resources at:
http://www.scotlandontv.tv/scotland_on_tv/discover/Mitchell_Library_Scottish_Family_Research.html

Carole

Carole Report 2 Sep 2008 07:05

Thank you mgny of that website address. It looks very interesting and I'll have good look at it.

Also thanks to everyone else who replied to this query.

Regards Carole