Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opening Excel database /Word document using Works

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jay

Jay Report 10 Feb 2008 14:38

I emailed a genealogy database in Excel to a relative who can`t open it as he hasn`t got Excel.
I copied and pasted it into a Word document and sent that but he still can`t open it.
Is there a format I can use so he can access the info..?
Jay

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 10 Feb 2008 15:08

Hello Jay

Can you export as a PDF file out of Excel and then send it? Your relative would be able to open it with Adobe Reader.

David

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 10 Feb 2008 15:09

In Excel, save the file again but use a different format eg CSV file. At the bottom of the Save As screen is a box labelled Save as Type. Change the type there.

Jay

Jay Report 10 Feb 2008 15:43

Many thanks to both of you.
I`m not much good with computers but I can now sort it out so he can access it. Jay.

RobG

RobG Report 10 Feb 2008 20:01

There is something called an "Excel Viewer" which can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft website. It enables people who don't have Excel to open Excel files. They obviously can't make changes, but can move around and view whatever you've entered.

Rob