Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to do?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 11 Feb 2008 16:16

hi
some one has added myself and my young children to his tree wihout even asking me .
i have sent him a message nearly a week ago asking him where he got the info from but he hasnt answered me
where do i go from here please?

Dawn

Dea

Dea Report 11 Feb 2008 16:21

Is this tree on GR ?

If so, e-mail them and ask them to remove the details!

Dea x

Kate

Kate Report 11 Feb 2008 16:22

If you contact Genes and give them details of the people in that tree who you know to be living, I think they will take them off that person's tree.

I suppose you could e-mail them again and say you noticed he had your children on the tree and are concerned that that information could get into the wrong hands etc, and want to protect their privacy.

Am I right in saying that - by the sound of your message - he doesn't have access to your tree?

Dawn

Dawn Report 11 Feb 2008 16:24

he has no acsses to my tree
and the more i look at itt i looks more and more like he has copied my whole tree
i have checked and checked again and he has had no permision to look at my tree

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 11 Feb 2008 17:05

Dawn, it could be that you gave permission to someone else to view your tree and they copied some of your info and then later some point they gave permission to this other person to view their tree (which would have your details on it).

Other than that - they may genuinely have researched those families for themselves - all the data is freely available to anyone willing to order BMD certs - and therefore they would end up with the same names and dates as on your tree even though it wasn't physically copied from you.

People researching their family tree are free to look up/order certs as they will for whatever part of their tree they so wish, even if it is just a remote connection. But Genes does have a rule about asking permission to add any living person to your Genes tree - so in that respect they are in the wrong for adding certain names without checking first.

I know there are a few people on here who have added me and my family to their trees without letting me know - but they had the decency to change our birth years (although I think that is a bit odd putting incorrect birth years for someone).

Hopefully they will get back to you soon and explain/apologise.

Regards - Athena

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 11 Feb 2008 17:14

Dawn I've had a look & it would appear that you are in 4 trees on here including your own.

As Anthena says, you have given access to someone who has copied your tree, they have given access to their tree containing you which has been copied again.

This info has not been taken from the BMD, your surname is not unusual enough to be able to do this.

You need to contact GR & get yourself removed for these trees before the proble, escalates.

I would also remove ALL living people from your tree regardless of whether they have given permission or not. They may be happy to be in your tree but not so keen if they realised that their details can be spread across the internet.