Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers Online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 11 Feb 2008 19:42

I just got this information from one of the rootsweb lists I belong to. This website has added new newspaper transcripts.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dutillieul/index.html

Click on Newspaper lists, scroll to bottom of page then choose dates and title in collection. When you find one of interest you can use control F to search by surname. Most appear to be from the 1700's but do go as late as 1876. Tips to searching are on the master index page.

Thanks to Richard Heaton for putting this very valuable resource together.

Teresa

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 11 Feb 2008 19:53

Very useful

Thank you

Sue
x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Feb 2008 21:14

Thank you for that Teresa - and Richard
Just spent a couple of hours looking through a few transctips from The Salisbuty & Winchester Gazette. No ancestors found, but I recognise some of the 'local' names - ie they still lived where their ancestors lived LOL, and seen some landmark properties for sale.
The 'Black Swan' in Winchester was sold in 1812. At the time it was 6 tenements with stabling and small plots of land and yards for each. I know it became a hotel for a while (featured in a 'Sherlock Holmes') and is now flats - but it's right in the middle of the high street!! When I walk to work tomorrow, I will be trying to see what buildings are on what were the 'small plots of land and yards'. LOL

maggie