Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rotherhithe, Surrey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 12 Feb 2008 20:25

Can somebody please tell me whereabouts in Surrey Rotherhithe is/was? Which registration district would it be?
Huia.

Julie

Julie Report 12 Feb 2008 20:32

Rotherhithe comes under Southwark

Huia

Huia Report 12 Feb 2008 20:37

Thanks for that. My big atlases of
England do not have it at all.
Huia.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Feb 2008 20:38

Try maps.google.co.uk or multimap.com.

Rose

Sue

Sue Report 12 Feb 2008 20:48

I have old maps of Rotherhithe dated 1894 with occupants and trades if I can help

Sue

Alyson

Alyson Report 12 Feb 2008 21:38

Rotherhithe is in SE london

Alyson

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 13 Feb 2008 02:47

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=535239&y=179870&z=0&sv=SE16%204LF&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=~&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Peter in Auckland

Heather

Heather Report 13 Feb 2008 11:27

Its where I was born! Its by the Thames - docklands in London, south of the river. There are a variety of districts that appear on refs - St Olaves, St Saviours etc. Who are you looking for?

Sprack

Sprack Report 13 Feb 2008 11:32

My Grandmother was born in Rotherhithe and the reg district is St Olave.
Jenny x

Huia

Huia Report 13 Feb 2008 18:18

On Tues I was at the LDS rooms and looked at the 1881 census. I found my Davey gt gt uncle and his wife and 2 of their first 3 children at 91 Chilton St, Rotherhithe, in Surrey. The children were said to be b in Rotherhithe. I then looked through the b reg, to check on their years of birth. But no Rotherhithes. There were St Olave, W.Ham and Poplar for Richard and heaps of London places for Alice: Lambeth, Islington, St O., Westminster, Wandsworth, Camberwell. All in the 2 years that I think might be her.
Mary aged 2/3 was missing from the census, but births were in Mile End, Pancras, Wandsworth.
Later children are proving just as difficult.
I found parents and a later child on the 1891 census on here, unless there were another Thomas and Annie Davey with daughter Florence aged 3 (my Flo. should have been about 3 months I think) and the census place was Hackney, South Hackney.
On the 1901 census they were definitely in Middlesex, Hornsey.
I must look at the 1891 on microfiche next time I go to the LDS. I dont trust the transcriptions on the computer.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 13 Feb 2008 18:20

Peter, is it possible to edit your piece and make the addy for that site shorter, or put a break in it, so that we can read the whole of each thread?
You will need to go to view - text size - smallest to get the edit button. Dont forget to change your text size back afterwards.
Thanks, Huia.

ps, I typed some of that addy into the address bar and got into the site, so the complete addy you gave wasnt necessary.

Sprack

Sprack Report 13 Feb 2008 20:11

Huia how about this for a coincidence, my grandmother was born at 77 Chilton Street Rotherhithe!!!.
Jenny

Heather

Heather Report 13 Feb 2008 21:45

Go for St olaves reg then. Poplar is the other side of the river, ditto Islington and Westminster. Wandsworth and Camberwell right side of the river but if it says Rotherhithe you want the St Olave birth.

Claire

Claire Report 6 Aug 2008 12:19

Hi, My mum is from Rotherhithe. Could be Surrey Quays which is part of the Isle of Dogs which Rotherhithe comes under.

Heather

Heather Report 6 Aug 2008 13:39

LOL Claire, Surrey Quays didnt exist then - they were just docks - my dad worked on them til the 1970s.

Valerie

Valerie Report 6 Aug 2008 16:07

Hi Claire,
It was called Surrey Docks till 1990's and Isle of Dog is other side of river Thames. My Nan in her 90's still living in Rotherhithe.

Valerie

Heather

Heather Report 6 Aug 2008 17:05

LOL Val, I remember taking my darling old dad up to Surrey "Quays" in about 2000 when my eldest son was living there - what a turn round.

I was a bit worried about dads reaction but he stood there, looked up and down and said "Bloody marvellous aint it?" Bless him. Wonder if my dad knew your nan? I lost him nearly 3 years ago aged 91.