Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INFO. CONTAINED ON WEDDING CERTS FROM 1850s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cookyb7

cookyb7 Report 12 Feb 2008 23:16

Hi there

Can anyone tell me if on a marriage certificate dating from the 1850s, if either of the fathers of the couple were decesed would that fact be recorded

regards cookyb

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Feb 2008 23:20

It should in theory be recorded, but it depends on what information the bride and groom gave.

If the official just asked "what is your father's name?" they may just have answered "Joe Bloggs" and not mention whether or not he was deceased.

Kath. x

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 12 Feb 2008 23:23

Not always.

There can be other problems too.

I bought a marriage certificate for one of my ancestors. I am desperate to find who his father is. He was born before 1837 but I was hoping the marriage cert would give me a clue where to look next.

Under father it just says..............

"Dead"

No name at all!!!

:(((

Sue
x

cookyb7

cookyb7 Report 12 Feb 2008 23:27

Thanks Kath

Its just that I thought the guy im searching for (and incidentally can find no other trace of except on his childrens' baptism records and this one marriage certificate for his son ) had died c1841 as his wife remarried shortly afterwords.

regards cookyb

cookyb7

cookyb7 Report 12 Feb 2008 23:30

Oh boy Sue!!!

At least that way you can close that branch of your tree and carry on with the others!

thanks for that - made me smile

cookyb

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 12 Feb 2008 23:36

LOL

These ancestors like to leave us nasty little puzzles like that.

But I am really determined! I have my suspicions based on naming patterns but I need some hard evidence before I come to a real conclusion.

Fortunately a family tree has loads of other branches so there's always another one to try to sort.

Good luck with yours

Sue
x

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 Feb 2008 03:55

Sue, There were 5 Dead's on the 1881 census.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 15 Feb 2008 18:29

LOL

Irritating or what!!!

Bet they were mine.

Sue
x

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 15 Feb 2008 19:51

Hi

I have one who stated his father as Thomas in 1879, which indeed he was, but Thomas died in 1846!

I try to narrow the date of death of a father by getting a marriage cert of one of the other siblings, if that comes back with father deceased, I know it's the right family.

I have quite a few that marry 2 or 3 times so I have a lot to choose from!

Kind regards
Amanda