Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NAME NAMES ????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 14 Feb 2008 00:18

There is a glitch in the system..... I reply to someone on the boards.

They send me a reply by PM

The name on the PM is their real name not their board name

IIn spite of searching my threads I cannot find the first mesage without knowing their board name

In order to make sense of their PM I have to write back to find their board name first.

So I have an inbox full of meaningless messages waiting for look ups. Please G.R. get your act together. I am fed up with explaining to people why their message means nothing to me without their board name attached.

I have written to G.R. explaining the error of their ways and am expecting the standard letter of reply that they are looking into it.

Anyone got a bright ideas to resolve this????

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 14 Feb 2008 02:26

Lindsey I don't think that there is a way around this problem, very few members have board names.

If I PM someone from the board, I adjust the heading to read from " Claire In Wales"

My major problem is I answer a query & a few days later I get a little message asking to view my tree.

I guess the only thing you can do is write a little message back to who ever has PM'd you asking who they are.

Huia

Huia Report 14 Feb 2008 03:10

You could go to your sent messages and click on their name to see what the message was that you sent them.

Huia

Huia Report 14 Feb 2008 03:12

Or are you saying that you put a reply in the board threads and they then send you a pm in reply?

Huia

Huia Report 14 Feb 2008 05:50

PM is private message. You click on a persons name (eg I would click on Marion) and you can send a message to the person. They get an email from Genes to say there is a new message, go to the message centre (see up above) and click on the persons name in the inbox to read it.

It is possible to change your name to
whatever you want. My real name isnt 'down under' but I left my real first name.

To change your name go to 'My account', top right above Hot Matches.

Huia in New Zealand.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 14 Feb 2008 09:20

When someone asks for a look up I reply asking for a date or more info on the board

they reply to me by PM with a list of names and dates but no surname !
the name on the PM is not the BOARD name

I then have to write back explaining that I cant back track through my threads without their board name or the surname of their original search !

If the PM had both Board name and Real name My life would be so much easier !!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Feb 2008 10:38

Unless the info is of a confidential nature, I don't see the point of using the PM system.

I always tell people to click on 'add reply' instead of on my name.

If they don't want to use the threads in the proper way.............I let them get on with it.

Reg

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 14 Feb 2008 11:02

Yup, just had the bog standard, we are looking into it letter.
It conjures up a vision of staff looking into the abyss !!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Feb 2008 11:03

It is not a glitch. This is the way that Board Names work

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 14 Feb 2008 11:19

Yes you and I know that but the poor souls out there dont! They all think their info is sacrosanct when most of it is in the public domain. Sometimes it can be like pulling teeth to get the facts without the added stress of finding their original mesages!
I shall now add.... reply only on this board... or no pms please. in future... Thanks

Huia

Huia Report 14 Feb 2008 18:17

Yes, I have a tree and my correct maiden name is on it, but it is not given in my board name.

Reg, I dont even click on 'Add reply', I just type in the reply box then click on 'submit'. It works fine.

Huia.