Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Importance of Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sara with no aitch

Sara with no aitch Report 14 Feb 2008 08:56

Manchester Unity Appvd Society????

As a "newbie", after trawling through censuses night and day, I have sent for certificates which have been really useful (not to mention exciting when they arrive). Also I have pestered family members for copies of anything they have in their possession. I have rec'd a copy of a birth cert. for a rellie and am intrigued when in 1932 they needed a copy for the above reason, Manchester Unity.... does anyone know what this may have been for please???
He would have been 62yrs old.
Sara

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Feb 2008 09:00

Insurance or pension verification of age ?

Gwyn

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 14 Feb 2008 09:00

I am guessing but could it have had anythong to do with a pension? Do you know what he did for a living would this fit in?

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 14 Feb 2008 09:02

Sounds like he was joining an insurance scheme or something similar. Possibly taking out an annuity policy or death benefit - would have had to prove his age, hence the need for a birth certificate.

Ian

Sara with no aitch

Sara with no aitch Report 14 Feb 2008 09:10

Thank u, I dont know what he did for a living, I'm not even sure how he fits into my family yet!!! Just ploughing through certs sent to me from my dad. I have never heard the surname mentioned before.
His mother signed the cert with an x, I gather this is fairly normal years ago. All I know is that the certs were found in my maternal grandparents house.
Thank u, I will keep searching.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 14 Feb 2008 09:31

I think Manchester Unity is one of the Oddfellow Society units.
The Oddfellows Society was originally set up in 1810 to help protect and care for its members, at a time when there were no trade unions, no welfare state and no National Health Service. This tradition of helping people has continued to the present day.

Sara with no aitch

Sara with no aitch Report 14 Feb 2008 10:16

Thanx SC, just sorting through the certs, trying to sort out who belongs to who, they are all called Ann!!!Nearly there (I think).