Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newport Pagnell Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 14 Feb 2008 10:28

At a blank with one half of my tree so thought I might have a go at the other side and take a visit to Newport Pagnell. I have never been their before, so does anyone have any ideas where would be the best place to start looking?

All the info I have is that my nan was born there sub district Olney. Her parents (Sydney Smith and Alice Smith nee Nye were living in High Street Castlethorpe in 1920 and 1921. Her parents married in Tonbridge in 1918, and they were living (Father) broadwater down, Tunbridge Wells, and (Mother) High Street, Pembury. Alice has no father on her marriage cert, and Sydney's father is a Joseph smith a farm labourer. My nan and her siblings were placed in a home, not sure exactly when, nor the real reason why, although my mum mentioned that her grandmother was rumoured to be a lady of the night. I found this confusing as she was married, not sure how many men would be willing to let their wives prostitute themselves to support the family, only other conclusion I can come to is maybe the husband was killed as he was a private in the Queens R.W on his marriage cert, and that she then turned to this to support herself?

So whats everyones opionion on where I should start to look?, Newport Pagnell, Tonbridge or Pembury?

Thanks for any suggestions :-)

Tracie.

Penny

Penny Report 14 Feb 2008 10:56

Newport pagnell is a small market town - it has a libriary not huge one- what you will actually glean from going there is debatable.

Castlethorpe is little more than a farm and a few houses

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 14 Feb 2008 12:20

oh, sham, not sure where elso to start my search. lol, back to the drawing board. lol

Thanks for the reply minnie.

LD

LD Report 14 Feb 2008 12:27

I would suggest visiting these areas and get to talk to the locals. There is always a "village elder" who will know somebody that knows something !
You might also wish to get some pics of the places concerned, a nice addition to your tree.
When researching an area I always check if there is anybody with the Surname I am searching for. If so I will write to them and ask if there is any connection. I always include an SAE and 90% of people reply. Of those the majority will know nothing but there is often a snippet of info which can help.
Good luck !

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 14 Feb 2008 12:32

thank you dancer and hedgehog. going to look throught the phone book right now. lol. was hoping maybe finding a newspaper with the court appearance if she did have a court appearance, all a bit wishy washy with details unfortunatly. I am waiting for census details for 1921 to find out for sure where my great grandmother was born, as I found an Alice Nye registered in Eton, but not sure if this is her as there were others but who had a middle name and there is no middle name on her marriage cert.

Thanks again
Tracie.