Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Needed On Genealogy Courses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Half

Half Report 14 Feb 2008 11:47

Hi

I have made a decision and would like your advice re the next step.

I reached the 50 milestone this year and also stopped working when my other half retired. I need to have an objective to keep the little grey cells going and having worked on my tree for the past few years decided that I would like to take it further.

I have delved into parish records, not looked at wills yet etc etc and thought that I would quite like to take it to degree level or something of that ilk.

I also enjoy helping other people but do not feel as though I have enough knowledge to do so yet and although I don't think I could ever charge people for my help this might be where it could lead.

My question is, are there any courses that anyone could recommend.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Half Pint

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 14 Feb 2008 11:55

Have you ever thought about offering time to transcribe...I've seen plenty of threads on GR requesting people to help out.

Whether it be for Ancestry or your local records offices, all us family historians benefit from records being transcribed!

Dee

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 14 Feb 2008 15:22

Hi Half Pint

Well if you are up for a challenge :)

I too hit the big 50 last year and signed up for the IHGS correspondence course and you study at degree level. It is not cheap but you can pay monthly.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

http://www.ihgs.ac.uk/ and click on 'Study Family History - Courses, Education and Qualifications'

Chris

Shannette

Shannette Report 14 Feb 2008 18:51

Just a thought but I volunteer at my local library as a keen amateur genealogist to run workshops to help people do their trees. They have a subscription to Ancestry which saves people money too.

Half

Half Report 14 Feb 2008 22:21

Hi All

Many thanks for replying, you have definitely given me some food for thought.

I feel as though I am at a wonderful crossroads in my life, my son has left home to live with his girlfriend, I am lucky in that I don't have to work and now is the time to do something for me, for the first time in my life.

I was a single parent and working full time the last time I did a very intense two year college course, and even with the pressures involved I really enjoyed it. My son who was at primary school at the time has always said laughingly that he should have received half of the qualification as well as me, so if I could do it then, I can't see a problem except that he would have to come back to make me as many cups of tea as he did then (lol).

After some more thinking I will let you know what I decide to do.

Again many thanks for your suggestions.

Regards

Half Pint