Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help With Tribal Pages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 14 Feb 2008 15:48

I have not touched my tribal pages but my cousin phoned me this morning and says she cant find my site.I have had a look on the search bar for someone in 1822 who would show up,but my site has not come up.My tree is still there as i have gone on as a visitor.Other than that how can my cousin access my site? Annie

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 14 Feb 2008 16:01

Annie

They should still be able to access it by typing in the full address in the search bar - www.tribalpages.com/(the name of your tree) and entering your password (if there is one).

I have had a few relatives saying they couldn't find my Tribal but that's because they were trying to find it by searching on a particular name - but I have chosen to opt out of my tree being searchable on the net (when they introduced all the new security levels).

Athena

ps - they can also find it by typing it in this way in the web search bar (fill in appropriate bits that I've got in brackets):

http://[the name of your tree].tribalpages.com

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 14 Feb 2008 16:03

Annie

Can you not give her the direct web page access address?

If you don't know what it is then sign in as normal and you should be taken to the 'Editing: My Tree' page. At the top is 'Website Location' and then a direct access address.

However I am using my paid tree on there so I don't know if it is different if you have a free tree.

Chris

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 14 Feb 2008 16:39

Grannie, if you can access your tree as a visitor then so can your cousin. She just needs to have the visitors password and of course the correct web address. She canĀ“t do anything on it, e.g. like add to the tree etc. or edit it (except sign visitors book) only you can do that as webmaster..
Are you sure she is putting in correct web address as per advice above?

ann

ann Report 14 Feb 2008 16:46

When you put a dead rellie in the search bar it comes up what trees that person is in.I have also tried myself putting a old rellie in the search bar and my website is not showing. Annie

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 15 Feb 2008 11:37

Grannie

Not sure why anyone would search for your website this long-winded way as it's much easier for your relatives to find your website by using your Tribal Pages web address. Saving it to "Favourites" in your browser makes it even quicker and easier!

But, anyway, I think I know what the problem might be. As mentioned previously, Tribal changed their privacy settings a while ago so it could be that yours has been set by them not to be included on any search engines.

Have a check by going into Edit/Privacy Levels and you should find a table showing what level yours is set to (you can custom this if you want to change anything) and then right at the bottom you will find this:

Site Features

Please indicate if you would like information on your site listed in the following services.
Note: Information on Living relatives will not be listed.

TribalPages Directory
Deceased Relatives

Other Search (Google, Yahoo, MSN)
Homepage
Deceased Relatives

You can't see it above, but on the website it gives you the options to choose any of these search engines for your tree to appear in. If you want yours to be visible to everyone this way, you need to click the appropriate buttons.

Hope that helps - Athena