Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish in Co Durham 1700s, early 1800s?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 14 Feb 2008 21:03

Hi

My gggggrandfather was born William Stewart in 1800 in Bishop Auckland, son of John Stewart and Patience Stewart formerly Brown. The baptism said that John was originally of Selkirk, Scotland. He was a skinner.

That gives me a lead to find a possible baptism, although I am not sure if he meant Selkirk itself or Selkirkshire as on the IGI there was a John Stewart born in 1738 in Selkirk town and his parents was James and Isabella. I know that Scottish people had a particular naming pattern as my John Stewart had two children called James and Isabel. He died in 1815 aged 80 according to his burial register. I would like to consider the 1738 Selkirk one as a likely candidate but I dont know if my rellie meant the county or the town?

Has any of you found Scottish ancestors in Durham before censuses at all as I know a lot of Scots did migrate to Durham?

Thanks

Ben

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 14 Feb 2008 22:00

Hi Ben had a look on Scotlands people and came up with 4 births for James Stuart and Isobel Dickson in Selkirk
Agnes 9/10/1737
James 8/11/1738
John 8/11/1738
Mary 27/7/1740

That was the only birth for a John Stuart/Stewart. It sounds as if this might be who you are looking for especially with the naming system. If you want a copy of the opr let me have your email addy and will send

Norah

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 14 Feb 2008 22:09

Nolls

Have pm'd you

Thanks

Ben