Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Firewall wont let me instal FTM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 15 Feb 2008 16:00

I have been trying to instal Who do you think you are FTM.
It seems to start to load then i get a message telling me that either i am not connected to the internet (which i am) or a firewall is installed.
and it cannot go any further.

I have gone to Windows Security Center and it tells me that a Firewall has been instaled by Norton.

Firstly i am surprised that Norton seems able to instal this when Windows have thier own Firewall (which is disabled)
And now, what, if anything can i do about it please?

Is it important to have this firewall?

If i delete the Norton Firewall will FTM still react the same way with Windows firewall?

Can someone also recommend a good security programme apart from Norton- i understand some are free!!

For some reason Norton send every single e-mail i receive to the anti-spam folder even though the settings are not asking them to do this, this has only been happening recently but it is driving me mad and it is due for renewal in 5 days

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Maureen

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 15 Feb 2008 18:42

You can disable the firewall to allow you to install the programme. After installing the programme you can then specify FTM as an "allowed" programme and have the firewall running as usual.

Another thing to note when you install FTM is to register the programme with the same password etc as your existing ancestry sub (if you have one). If you use a differnt set of details then the websearch will not work (Ancestry will not recognise your subscription).

Personally i don't use the websearch anyway, it doesn't record the census details, it just notes Ancestry as the source and the websearch only works with exact matches, mistranscribed names and married females get missed from the searches.

Glen