Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NEWBIES ALERT!! DODGY CERTIFICATES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2008 17:48

Hello, having used a company called www.gov-certificates.uk (i thought they were official cert site some good people on the chat forum thread certificates this afternoon have put me wise

please search
WARNING DODGY CERTIFICATES
for a thread way back in 2005 involving this company

I hope no one else is as stupid as me and does not mistake this site for the official government records site and uses this company and has the worry i now have re my c/c. I have spoken to my bankers this evening who advise there is nothing they can do, of course there is no facility to cancel a credit card, one has to just keep checking statement or account and dispute any suspicious transactions!

best
j

Dea

Dea Report 15 Feb 2008 17:59

As far as I am aware, there is EVERY facility to cancel a credit card payment !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which one is it?

The way the law works is that the credit card company is the owner of whatever you have bought until you pay them for the item - therefore, most credit Companies would take action if there is a case of fraud because it is themselves who are at first being defrauded as they have an 'interest' in what is being purchased.

This is a very 'simplistic' explanation but without going into 'legal' terminology - that is the case put very simply !

I would try again with your credit Company and insist they do something about it !

Let us know what happens.

Dea x

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2008 18:29

HSBC Premier credit card Sinead was the lady who was adamant she could not and would not cancel. I agree with what you say Dea, my son has just said similar. am waiting for hubby to get home for him to phone bank back, my frustration was such that i had to end the call after almost fifteen minutes cos i wasn't getting anywhere. as far as she was concerned it didnt matter whether i put the scissors through the card as i said i would right then and there, i would just have to watch my statement and account and 'keep an eye on it' and 'dispute' any items not mine! I said i am giving you an STR right now and you are telling me you are not going to action my request...I accepted that the payment of £23 made for the certificate would be lost ie honoured but i want to avoid the company using my card for anything else...
what a performance...
will update late
jx

Paula

Paula Report 15 Feb 2008 20:11

Accidently lose it and ring to tell them, then they will cancel and issue another card with a different number

Julie

Julie Report 15 Feb 2008 20:41

Well hubby did the firm lengthy phone call and it is now cancelled and they are also now at request investigating and doing a trace on my phone call with the earlier individual on a formal complaint to investigathe information distressing as it was under the circumstances by her decision not to cancel the card
so will wait to see if i have any contact from www.gov-certificates, i am not holding my breath.

Dea

Dea Report 15 Feb 2008 20:47

Well done Julie !!

It takes a 'firm hand' but these things can usually be done.

Dea x

Sarahh

Sarahh Report 15 Feb 2008 21:16

There are ways to stop a card as I had a problem with the broadband company bulldog and although my bank said they couldn't stop it without cancelling that one and changing my card (with new card number) they did however get my money refunded to my bank account but can't remember how they went about it now. But it can be done.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 15 Feb 2008 21:30

There is someone else complaining about this company. She had paid a fortune and so far only received 1 cert.

There is also an article in 2005 on RootsWeb.Talking about an article in The Guardian about this company. It said they seemed to have disappeared. E mails unanswered. Address given as Bournemouth which is said to be a mailbox in a small shopping mall. There was an investigation because money was sent and nothing received.
They were charging 23+ pounds (in Euros)
Another complaint I read said the cert she got came from France.

What is this company charging for certs?. You should never pay more than 7 pounds.

If you order from GRO and live overseas you dont even get charges for postage