Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MISSING PARISH RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Espana

Espana Report 15 Feb 2008 23:17

Hi Any advice I am wishing to check the parish records for a church known to be the one used by my ancestors. I checked with Shrewsbury library who said the records are still at the church and for me to contact the vicar.
I wrote to the vicar, enclosed my telephone number and a s.a.e. and to-date I have not received any response.
Is there any advice for me from anyone who has had a similar experience or can tell me whether I am actually allowed to see the records? Cindy

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 15 Feb 2008 23:31

what dates are you looking at and what denomination is the church?

Ian

Espana

Espana Report 15 Feb 2008 23:39

Hi Ian. Thanks. I am hoping to see the records for 1700's and it would also be useful to see whether I can gleem any information on marriages and births after the 1901 census as I have hit a brick wall with all my great aunts and uncles.
It is a Church of England. Cindy

Espana

Espana Report 15 Feb 2008 23:40

Hi Ian. Thanks. I am hoping to see the records for 1700's and it would also be useful to see whether I can gleem any information on marriages and births after the 1901 census as I have hit a brick wall with all my great aunts and uncles.
It is a Church of England. Cindy

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 15 Feb 2008 23:53

Hello Cynthia
You say you went to the Shrewsbury Library, was it the local archives at Castle gate?
Most archives hold microfiche copies of the churches in their juristiction.
if you google parish records shropshire or shrewsbury or if you know the church, a catlogue list should come up.
the website that came up for me was
http://archives.shropshire.gov.co.uk
As I dont know the name of the church, I couldnt see if it was listed.
Regards Carol

Espana

Espana Report 16 Feb 2008 00:03

Hello Carol
Yes it was the Archives. It is St Lukes Church at Sambrook.
Cindy

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 20 Feb 2008 02:21

Hi
Just got back from visiting so I couldnt reply.
When I went on St Lukes Website it states that the church was built in 1856, so I am afraid you will be out of luck with any parish records prior to that from that church.
Try neighbouring villages or towns that have older records
Carol