Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trinidad family history

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 16 Feb 2008 08:34

Can anyone help me?I've been asked by nmy friend if I would help her with her family history.Her families are from Piparo and Marabella in Trinidad.There doesn't seem to be very much at all available online,even the parish records don't seem to be available.Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 16 Feb 2008 18:01

Wendy

Just a couple of ideas, not that this an area I have had any experience in :)

Have you seen the BBC website for researching Caribbean Family History?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/get_started/caribbean_01.shtml

Also your library may have a copy of Ancestral Trails by Mark Herber (or they should be able to get a copy in) and he has a few sections covering what records are available for the Caribbean.

Apparently the LDS have filmed some records but very few are on the IGI so you would need to order in the film(s) through a local centre if they have what you need. Check out the catalogue on their website.

I would think that someone, somewhere has written a book specifically on research in this area so maybe a hunt on google will throw something up that your library can get in?

Good luck
Chris

Wendy

Wendy Report 17 Feb 2008 08:18

Thanks Chris.The BBC website you mentioned says that there are virtually no records for Trinidad.The government there are reluctant to film them,also there doesn't seem to be very many researchers out there.I've joined the Trinidad and Tobago mailing list in the hope that someone there can help,

Wendy