Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Private in WW1 but no place of birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

A Lancashire

A Lancashire Report 16 Feb 2008 11:23

Hi,I am trying to trace my grandad, Ernest Chapman, but having problems because I don't know where he was born [frail elderly rel thinks he MIGHT have come from Hereford]. His marriage cert in 1923 gives his age as 33,[ married a local girl so local Yorks , W.R.address], father Thomas, farmer. Found his medal card WW1 with Private No 29415 Y & Lancs Reg,,Royal Engineers No 236223 and WR/264252. Had children in 1915,1916 and 1918 so was home quite a lot even though he was a soldier. He was a farm labourer. before the war. I seem to have such a lot of info but no place of birth, there are so many on B.D.M and census who might be him. Any idea where to go now ?
Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Not online again till 5 p.m.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 16 Feb 2008 11:31

Can you find him and family on 1901 census that should help a bit.
d x

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Feb 2008 11:59

A quick look on ancestry, their is only one Ernest Chapman with father Thomas born about the correct year, in the first 50 results, cannot read dads occupation (looks like Stone mason) but he is not a farmer

Name: Ernest Chapman
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Thomas
Mother's Name: Jane M
Where born: Pittington, Durham, England

Civil Parish: Birtley
Ecclesiastical parish: Birtley St John the Evangelist
Town: Birtley
County/Island: Durham

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Chester Le Street
Sub-registration district: Harraton
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 233
Household Members: Name Age
Ada Chapman 7
Alice Chapman 3
Ernest Chapman 9
Jane M Chapman 52
Thomas Chapman 39

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4702; Folio: 87; Page: 41.

Roy

A Lancashire

A Lancashire Report 16 Feb 2008 17:35

Thanks for your replies, the 1901 census has a few Ernest Chapman with father Thomas but, as i don't know where he was born, I don't know which is my Ernest. Sorry, made a mistake, date of marriage cert is 1921. I am pretty sure they were farmers because of the details on the marriage cert, but thanks for trying .