Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

william cane 1867c

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 16 Feb 2008 15:05

Hi can anyone help me find the birth record of william cane 1867c The 1901 cencus says he was born in Bethnal Green. He married Bertha Adams in 1901. the marriage cert says he is 34 and a widow. I need to send for his birth cert but can't find any details Thankyou Julie

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Feb 2008 15:13

This is the only one close to it:

Name: James William Cain
Year of Registration: 1867
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Bethnal Green
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1c
Page: 309

Julie

Julie Report 16 Feb 2008 15:33

Thanks a lot I guess this could be him wonder if any one can find him in a cencus with a father Thomas Julie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Feb 2008 15:51

Birth registration was not compulsory until 1875..............

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Feb 2008 15:51

You can look for him in 1881....free on www.familysearch.org

Reg

Julie

Julie Report 16 Feb 2008 16:55

Thanks Reggie I thought birth registration started in 1837? Julie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Feb 2008 23:42

It started in 1837, but it wasn't until 1875 that it became compulsory.........

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Feb 2008 23:43

What was his father's occupation?

Julie

Julie Report 17 Feb 2008 09:03

Hi Reggie On williams marriage cert its says his father was a plumber called Thomas. Julie

Julie

Julie Report 17 Feb 2008 10:05

Hi again Can't find him in 1881 but i am sure i have him in the 1891 census age 23 and a soldier based in Pontefract Yorkshire I do know that William had a Daughter Rose E cane her birth was registed in Pontefract 1891c I think her Mother was Annie Elizabeth Godfrey Williams First Wife. His Second wife Bertha Adams was also born in Pontefract so i'm pretty sure this is him . Is there any sites that have details of soldiers i can look on ?