Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leni

Leni Report 16 Feb 2008 15:54

I sent off for a death cert. for a Nelly Lynam ,I stated maiden

name Askew and husbands name Edgar James.What do they

send me, maiden name Smith and husbands name Harry.!

and I paid 10 pounds for this! I feel so angry,I shall be on the

phone to the G.R.O. on Monday. What a shoddy service! Has this

happened to anybody else?

Gwyn

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 16 Feb 2008 16:24

Gwyn

Did you quote the GRO reference - year and quarter, where registered, plus volume and page numbers?

David

Leni

Leni Report 16 Feb 2008 16:39

Hi David, yes I did.

Gwyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Feb 2008 16:47

Did you put your checking points on the first page of the form (where you put Nelly's name) or did you put them on the separate "reference checking" page?

If you didn't use the proper page, then they won't have done the checks you asked for.

If you ordered online with the full GRO reference (and you ticked "yes" to say the GRO reference was known) then it should only have been £7.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Feb 2008 16:49

why did you pay £10 its only £7 with the GRO ref, I havent seen death certs as yet that show the maiden name . What year was this

Shirley

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Feb 2008 16:51

Maiden names were added to death certificates in 1969 so it must be a fairly recent certificate.

Kath. x

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 16 Feb 2008 16:55

If you apply to the local office and state checking points then they won't charge any extra.

If the names don't quite match they will usually contact you and ask if you still want the cert. You don't need a GRO ref, just the year and place (if you can be more accurate then all the better but it isn't vital).

In any case if you don't get a cert then you won't pay anything.

In addition a lot of local offices will send a scanned copy of the original register entry and any/all signatures wil be the original signature of your rellies.

Glen

Leni

Leni Report 16 Feb 2008 17:03

Yes Kathleen she died in 1985, I did put the checking points on a separate referance checking page.
Perhaps I did`nt use the proper page,but I still don`t see how you can issue a cert knowing the names do not tally,Why did`nt they contact me and ask?Will they refund me my money?

Gwyn

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 16 Feb 2008 17:11

It sounds as if you didnt go directly to the GRO if you paid £10.00.

You will need to read the small print of the organisation that you got the certificate through to see if any refund is likely. I would suggest that it won't be.

With the GRO, if the names don't tally with what you have stated, they won't send the certificate and only charge you a partial fee, I think it is £4.00.

Ian

Leni

Leni Report 16 Feb 2008 17:17

Yes Ian,it was the GRO. Thanks everyone for your input, I will phone them on Monday.
Gwyn

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 16 Feb 2008 17:23

Hi Gwyn

I would ask them to refund at least the £3.00 that you have paid over the top then, if you went direct to the GRO!

All certificates should only cost £7.00. Never ever pay any more than that, no matter where you are getting them from.

Ian

Leni

Leni Report 16 Feb 2008 17:30

What does annoy me Ian is they have enclosed the bottom half of theapplication form and it states quite clearly, husband James Egar Lynam.,yet whoever
put it in the envelope with the certificate would see the names do not tally.
Gwyn