Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please? Confused with My Catherine Thomases!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 16 Feb 2008 19:25

My ancestor is one Catherine Thomas, b 1829/1830 in Zennor, Cornwall. She went on to marry a John Eustice.

Well, in 1841 there is a Catherine Thomas b1829 Zennor living with another Catherine Thomas, b1777 Cornwall.

In 1851 these two Catherine Thomas' are with a third Catherine Thomas, b 1802 Zennor. The two elder ladies are both widowed, and they are down as head, mother and daughter.

However, also in 1851 there is a William Thomas b1777 with a Catherine Thomas b1793 as his wife. ( This couple are also on the 1841 census with a very large household of Thomas' that I'm guessing to be their children and grandchildren).

Now, searching parish records I have found the following :-

My Catherine Thomas b1829 was born to George Thomas and Catherine THOMAS !!!

George Thomas was born to William Thomas and Catherine Phillips.

Could it really be that wife, daughter, mother in law and grand-daughter are all Catherines? Or am I just getting completely confuddled?

William must have been married before as some of his children in 1851 are only 12 or so years younger than his wife Catherine, unless the ages are wrong?

Hmmmmm

Any ideas?

Thanks
Laura

Laura

Laura Report 16 Feb 2008 19:34

Even more confused. The only birth I can find in Zennor for the Catherine Thomas I'm assuming to be the mother of Catherine b1829 and wife to George, is daughter to William Thomas b1801.

William Thomas and Catherine Phillips are the parents of George Thomas.

Surely brother and sister didn't marry? Can there really be this much of a coincidence?

Catherine being the name of daughter, wife, mother and mother in law?

Laura

Laura Report 18 Feb 2008 15:56

Nobody got any ideas on this one?
Was meant to get to the record office over half term but couldn't go down in the end, am going to have to try and wait until Easter - how frustrating! lol

Laura
x

RobG

RobG Report 18 Feb 2008 17:49

Quite possible !
In my OH's tree, her G-G-Father was the son of Elizabeth. He married twice - both to an Elizabeth (first one died). Both Elizabeth's had a daughter Elizabeth (both survived). And just to round it off - his second wife Elizabeth was actually his neice!!!
Arrrgggghhhh!!!!

Rob

Laura

Laura Report 18 Feb 2008 19:58

It really is confusing, and I just ended giving up the other day. Was wondering if there was anyway of finding out for sure before I get to the parish records. Even using IGI and familyhistoryonline.net I can't seem to work it out!

Especially if both snr Catherines married Williams!

Argh!