Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth, Marriage, Death, Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 16 Feb 2008 19:48

Is there a place you can go and view the information that is on Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates with having to buy them?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 16 Feb 2008 20:12

In a word no.

The info can only be viewed by purchasing the certificate.

You might find some details on the IGI website for example but unless the information is a submitted record then treat it with caution. The IGI coverage varies greatly and for later events is very patchy.

Monumental inscriptions might give clues as to when someone died but usually they are only available at the local (to the cemetery) library and again not all stones have been recorded.

A lot depends on the dates you are looking at.

Glen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Feb 2008 20:20

If you know the parish, church marriage registers will show exactly the same information as on a marriage certificate.

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Feb 2008 20:46

Linda
I can't agree re. marriage registers.
After 1837 the parish entry and certificates should contain identical information.

Gwyn

imp

imp Report 16 Feb 2008 22:18

Yes I have to support Gwyn here as most of my marriage certificates I get from deposited parish records in the Archives at a cost of about 55p a throw (as I live in the area I am researching).

I get copies of the original entry (usually microfiched) and if your ancestors could write you will see their original signatures.

Gail.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Feb 2008 23:19

GLEN

error error error!!!

You might find some details on the IGI website for example but unless the information is a submitted record then treat it with caution. The IGI coverage varies greatly and for later events is very patchy.

It surely should be ......... " ....... unless the information is an EXTRACTED record then treat it with caution." !!!!!!!

sylvia

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 17 Feb 2008 00:07

That's what i meant to say, it's been a long day.

Slap my wrists and call me a silly old b*gger!!!!

Glen

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2008 01:13

ok

consider wrists slapped

and you're a silly b*gger

don't know whether you're an old one!!

sylvia
xxx

Sam

Sam Report 17 Feb 2008 12:12

Hi

Just to follow on from Linda, you can definately get copies of the marriage entries from the Parish Records (post 1837) at Staffordshire Records Office. They are identical to the certificates obtained from the GRO and only cost 55p for a print out.

Sam x

Alan

Alan Report 17 Feb 2008 12:25

Hi Linda,

The marriage certifcate from the GRO shouldn't contain any extra information that you can't find from the orginal entry in the parish register.

It sounds like you may have been looking at Bishop's Transcripts which are shortened records but I didn't think these existed after 1837?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 17 Feb 2008 13:01

Linda, perhaps to clarify matters, it would be helpful you were to explain exactly what the difference is between the marriage certificate you have and the parish register entry. Of the hundreds of post 1837 parish register marriage entries I have viewed, every one has contaned exactly what one would expect to find on a certificate purchased from the GRO.

Jennifer