Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2008 22:03

Where do I apply for a copy of a Will of someone who died 1939 in Wimbledon.
I did send for an Uncle's will about 15 years ago, but can't remember where to.
The price then was £2, not doubt it would have gone up since then.

Thanking you , Ann

Susan

Susan Report 16 Feb 2008 22:20

Hi Ann,
If you look on the Homepage of GR under 'Wills after 1858' the details of where to apply for a will are there.
It now costs £5 for them to search, but if they find one a copy of the will is included in this price, so not too bad.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Susan

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2008 22:37

Thanks Susan for the info.
Found the GR page OK.
Perhaps I'll know where Grannie got all her houses from.

Thanks again, Ann

Ann

Ann Report 16 Feb 2008 22:47

Can WILLS be accessed on line.
0r applied for on line.

Just itching to see the Will,
if not I'll send for it.

Ann

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 17 Feb 2008 08:27

Ann

There are no 'recent' wills online - HMCS have plans but nothing soon.

If you're in London area you can visit First Avenue House in Holborn, find the will, pay £5, wait 1 hour and the will is yours.

Alternatively, if you know where probate was issued call the office and see if you can pay over the phone - I recently (4/5 months ago) did this with Brighton.

This link will give you details (addresses and numbers) of the various probate offices around the country. If you have to apply to York - they do searches/issue wills for all areas - the details etc are also here.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Good Luck
MB

Lesley

Lesley Report 17 Feb 2008 08:57

I know I am being nosey but who was your gran. I ask because my gran owned a lot of houses in wimbledon too. lesley.x