Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 17 Feb 2008 06:15

I would like to get the birth certificate of my GGGgrandfather born 1813 because of the date would I have to write to the Church where he was Baptised.
Many thanks for any help. Mark

Ivy

Ivy Report 17 Feb 2008 06:24

Hi Mark,

If he was born in England, he may have been baptised either by the Church of England or by some other religious body. You could request a copy of the page of the baptism register from whoever now holds the register.

Be aware that the baptism may have taken place some time after the birth (several years, sometimes).

The Genuki site is a good place to start, since it maintains up to date links to sites listing holdings of genealogical material. Tap the place name and Genuki into Google. Any problems, ask again.

Ivy

Ivy Report 17 Feb 2008 06:45

Also have a look at this thread on certificates and parish records:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci
=thread&tk=1007129

Mark

Mark Report 17 Feb 2008 08:41

many thanks Ivy will let you know if I am lucky