Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 census sharp eyes and brains wanted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 17 Feb 2008 17:00

I have found what I think is my gr, gr, gr, gr Aunt, Fanny Hadley in 1851 censu,age 24 living at 11 New Street, in the parish of Harbourne, ecclesiastical district North Harbourne village of (crossed out) *something* Smethwick. Fanny is registered as a visitor of John Magnell, his wife Jane and daughter Sarah A. It's Fanny's "condition" I can't read. For John and Jane it is married for little Sarah it is blank obviously. Is Fanny's condition unmarried? I think I see a "Ue". Occupation listed for Fanny is blank. Going by the rest of the family, I don't think Fanny was of independant means at 24. Was it usual for vistors occupations to be left blank? Or could Fanny be a lady of no visable means of support? As far as I can gather the Magnells weren't any relation of Fanny's family.

The census ref is H.O. 107/2050

K

K Report 17 Feb 2008 17:17

I would think she is listed as unmarried

Deborah

Deborah Report 17 Feb 2008 17:31

Thanks Yorkie and K, I suspected it meant unmarried. I did try looking at forward and back but my poor old eyes are not what they were or maybe as a relative newbie I need to think more. I am still puzzled about the balnk for occupation.