Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am i tackling this the best way?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris from salop

Chris from salop Report 18 Feb 2008 13:02

Hi Everyone, My great uncle was a john thomas powell who married a louisa rowe in june 1903 in madeley shropshire.I am trying to see if they had any children however it is prooving difficult with a common name like Powell.
By going through free bmd and ancestry i have a list of about 12 possible births in madeley. I have ordered 3 certificates (did reference checking) and just received e mails to say the mother is not louisa.Is my only choice to send for my remaining possible births and spending a bit more ? Unfortunately i don't live in shropshire anymore to visit the records office.
chris

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 18 Feb 2008 15:46

Iv`e done a search on freebmd from 1911 onwards for Powell births MMN Rowe in Shropshire, and this is the only one it bought up.Births Dec 1912 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powell Denis R Rowe W.Bromwich 6b 1526

I did try searching stipulating Madeley, and got no results, are you sure they were all born in that district?. You could order this one stipulating Louisa for mothers christian name........at least you know already that she was a Rowe....but of course may not be your lady.

Nicky

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 18 Feb 2008 16:00

Not what you asked for ,but have you seen this.....maybe a connection

Marriages Jun 1925 (99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powell Lydia Rowe Madeley 6a 1475
Rowe William Powell Madeley 6a 1475

Nicky

Chris from salop

Chris from salop Report 19 Feb 2008 11:36

Hi Nicky, Thanks for having a look for me. Unfortunately i have already sent for the denis powell birth cert and it was the wrong one.!.Unfortunately John powell is down as a commercial traveller on the marriage cert so they could have been living somewhere else! Maybe i will just have to wait for the 1911 census to see were they were then.thanks again chris