Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Ponsonby O'Gallaghan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 18 Feb 2008 14:17

I have some bits of paper/info that refer to this person who was the Viscount Lismore from Shanbally Casle, Co. Tipperary.
and Hon. Mrs Rosina O'Gallaghan Sharp nee Follett if anyone is researching these names.

I have no idea where these papers came from as they are nothing to do with my family, but they turned up when I was having a clear out.

baxter

baxter Report 1 Sep 2008 00:31

I happen to know a little about Shanbally, though more than most, I suppose, as my wife's newly-wed great grandfather went out to Shanbally from Scotland in about 1886 to be Viscount Lismore's gamekeeper. It was a very successful venture, and I think it was only the Viscount's death in Oct 1898 that prompted them to return to Scotland. The Viscount's two sons had pre-deceased him, and the peerage went extinct. He bequeathed the estate to a couple of cousins.

My wife and I have visited the ruins of Shanbally Castle, which was blown up by the army in 1960, in part because it was a symbol of the English Protestant ascendancy, and there's a lump of it in front of me serving as a paperweight. I have also corresponded with a number of people in Ireland & England about Shanbally archives, and could give you details.

Ian Cameron