Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 18 Feb 2008 16:57

Hello, Firstly not sure if i'm posting this in the right area so apologies if it's wrong.

I am trying to find out if my great grandmother had any other siblings. My GGM - Matilda Beasley was born 1891 in London Limehouse and I know that she had a sister Ann Eliza who died when she was 6. According to my Great Uncle (Matilda's son) there were others too but he cannot remember names.

My question is how do I find them? There are lots of Beasley's born in Limehouse so how do I know which children are the right ones without buying lots of BC's!!

Any help appreciated
Kim

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Feb 2008 16:59

1901 census

Name: Matilda Beasley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Thomas
Mother's Name: Rebecca
Where born: Limehouse, London, England

Civil Parish: Limehouse
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
County/Island: London

Registration district: Stepney
Sub-registration district: Limehouse
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 302
Household Members: Name Age
Matilda Beasley 9
Rebecca Beasley 43
Thomas Beasley 66

Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Feb 2008 17:01

Name: Rebecca Beasley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Relation: Sister-in-law
Where born: Buckinghamshire, England

Civil Parish: Limehouse
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
Town: London
County/Island: London

Registration district: Stepney
Sub-registration district: Limehouse
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ann Beasley 8/12
Minnie Beasley 15
Rebecca Beasley 32
Thomas Elliott 56
Sybil Taylor 8

If any others were born and died between 1891-1901, there is no way of knowing without buying certs

Reg

kim

kim Report 18 Feb 2008 17:06

Correct, thanks Reggie.

Minnie Beasley (15) is also Rebecca's daughter (Matilda's half sister)

Is there no other way at all as there are just far too many to buy certs? How about if I went to Limehouse? would they have records in the library or somewhere like that?

Potty

Potty Report 18 Feb 2008 17:41

If you know the mother's maiden name, you could specify that as a checking point when you order from the GRO. They won't send the cert if it isn't correct and charge £4 instead of £7.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Feb 2008 17:55

It would seem that Rebecca was not married when she had these children.........

She is single on 1881 census, surname Beasley.......

Reg

kim

kim Report 18 Feb 2008 18:29

Hello, Thanks for the replies.
Yes Rebecca is Matilda's mother, and yes you are correct that Rebecca never married.
Matilda's BC shows her parents as Thomas & Rebecca Beasley however Thomas took Rebecca's name and is infact the same Thomas shown on the 1881 census as Thomas Elliott.
Rebecca is Minnie's mother and Minnie's BC shows mother Rebecca Beasley Father Unknown.
Even at a cost of £4 per cert with using a reference check it would still cost alot of money.
Thanks for the help, I thought there maybe a simple way for me to look things up myself in the library or something but it wouldn't appear to be that easy.....