Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gibraltar Births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 18 Feb 2008 17:06

Can anyone help? I have discovered from some census returns that one of my ancestors was a Sergeant Instructor (I'm guessing Army) and had his first two children whilst in Gibraltar. He was Frederick T BENNETT, born approx 1818 in Hadleigh, Suffolk, and his firt two children were Dorah, b1859, and Chrles, b1861.

Does anyone know where I can find out more- which unit did he belong to? How did he get to Gibraltar? Why were the Army (or whoever) in Gibraltar at that time?

Any information or resources to point me in the right direction gratefully received.

Thanks

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 18 Feb 2008 18:56

You may find something of interest on this site

http://www.gibraltargenealogy.com/

If you google Gibraltar + genealogy it will bring up quite a few sites.

Christine

Sean Subexpired

Sean Subexpired Report 18 Feb 2008 20:32

The Overseas Births Registers for the Army seem to list the regiment of the father in the register itself. However, this information is not on the birth certificates of the child. Well at least, that is what I found when I purchased the birth cert for my GG Grandmother who was born in Gibralter in 1847.

Familyrelatives.com has got the overseas births registers online and free to search.

Amanda

Amanda Report 20 Feb 2008 08:43

Thank you all for your tips- I'll get looking!