Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death in 1842 - Sorted, thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 18 Feb 2008 19:53

Sorry for asking a silly question; but I've only bought BMD certificates in Canada. (Actually, also one marriage cert in England.)

Believe I've found my ancestor's death, in 1842. May I ask what information might be included on her death certificate, please?

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 18 Feb 2008 20:06

The date and the place the death took place. the name. age, occupation( if it is a woman, it usually says wife of ... or widow of...). the cause of death, the name and address of the informant (usually says the relationship to the deceased). the date registered

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 18 Feb 2008 20:07

Thank you very much, Linda. :)

Angela

Angela Report 18 Feb 2008 20:16

You'll get the date of death and where they died - full address if you're lucky, but it might be just a village name. Their full name, sex, and age - treat the age with some caution as the informant may not really have known it. Then the occupation - for a woman it usually says 'wife/widow of...' . Then cause of death and whether or not it was certified by a medical practioner. Then name and address of the informant - often a relative and it may give the relationship, but not always. Sometimes the informant might be a neighbour. It often says the informant was 'present at the death' but I think this can perhaps just mean in the house, not actually there. Then it gives the date of registration and the signature of the registrar. A woman's maiden name wasn't given until fairly recently. Angela

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 18 Feb 2008 20:19

Thank you also, Angela. I've not researched this branch before, as there is so little to go on. Perhaps it's time I start, eh? Thank you again. :)