Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger List-sorted, thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 19 Feb 2008 08:00

I have ancestors who lied about/forgot their ages, I have copies of census records with incorrect immigration dates, etc.....Has anyone seen an incorrect nationality on immigration records?

On an 1857 New York Passenger List are: James Mumford and Susan. James and Susan are listed as Irish. Susan is the correct age for my ancestor; James is 5 years too old. My James and Susan would have sailed to North America around that time (they settled in Canada.) Wondering if errors were made with nationalities. Thank you.

PS I don't see this couple in America in 1860 or 1870, which also makes me wonder if it is my family.

Penny

Penny Report 19 Feb 2008 09:08

'' I have copies of census records with incorrect immigration dates''

Do census records usually state immigration dates?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 19 Feb 2008 09:18

Minnie, in Canada they do. :)

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 20 Feb 2008 01:03

Anything's possible! Many of the passenger lists that I've seen simply have the nationality entered once, against the first name on the page - then just ditto marks all the way down the page for everyone else. I guess it depended on how concientious the clerk was at the time, i.e. did he actually ask each passenger if that was their correct nationality, or did he just assume it in order to save time when filling out the paperwork?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Feb 2008 03:18

Hi Richard:

Actually, Ireland is placed at the top of the page, with ditto marks all the way down; but, I did check the prior page, and England is listed a couple of times, so he did check a few people on the prior page, at least. Thank you for your help, at least I know there's a chance I have the correct couple.