Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recommended software please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keren

Keren Report 19 Feb 2008 15:49

Hi I have been using "Generations Family Tree" software by Sierra for some years now but am sick and tired of how hard it is to create a decent chart to print out for relatives - I have to move loads of people on it so that it makes some sort of sense and do a new one almost every time someone asks me. Can someone please recommend some software that is easy to use especially when creating a family tree to print out? Cost is an important consideration too.

Apologies if this is a question that gets asked a lot, I have a chronic illness and can't search through all the old posts without getting very dizzy and fatigued. Thank you!

Ron

Ron Report 19 Feb 2008 16:26

Hi Karen.

This question crops up at least once a week :0))).

We have 37 different programs and along with the general view held on this site Family Tree maker seems to be the way to go.

It will produce a wide variety of trees at the click of the mouse.

The newest version is 2008, when this first came out it was a bit of a mess and far from a completed program however since then a lot of updates have come out and it's not too bad now, the only thing the latest version will not do is create a tree with everybody in the file on it whereas the older versions (2006, version 16) would.

If you haven't used this program before I would say start with the 2008 version because it's completely different to all previous versions so if you start with an older version you will have to learn the program all over again if ever you upgrade to a newer version..

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Keren

Keren Report 20 Feb 2008 13:55

Thank you Ron, very kind of you to take the trouble to reply so fully. I will check it out.

Keren

Keren Report 21 Feb 2008 20:21

Just a couple of quick thoughts, will I be able to add my current research in quickly, ie via a gedcom file? And can you import other people's trees (or the parts relevant to you) from trees on GR, that would save a lot of work! Thanks.

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2008 22:17

Yes, you can import gedoms and open different files for gedcoms you are sent.