Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MARRIAGE DOES NOT EXIST !!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dean

Dean Report 19 Feb 2008 17:41

Anyone like a puzzle?

My gg was John Harrower b 1870. His father was colin Harrower b1852 and his mother Isabella Beveridge b1846.

1881 census john is 11. 1871 census john does not exist.

On Scotlands people there is no register of a marriage between Colin and Isabella. John's oldest sibling was Elizabeth b1868. Which would have made Colin 16 at the time of her birth!!

On 1871 census there is a John Cant 1868, Isabella Cant 1846 and john Cant 1868 and Elizabeth Cant born 1868 plus an Edward Cant born 1866.

Can anyone find out if these are the same people and whether Isabella married twice, meaning that John Harrower was really a cant.

Thanks to anyone who can solve this puzzle as i am completely stumped and its driving me nuts.

Wendy

imp

imp Report 19 Feb 2008 18:02

So there is no marriage between a Colin Harrower and Isabella Cant?

Gail.

imp

imp Report 19 Feb 2008 18:09

Did they get divorced or just go there separate ways?

Is this John Cant husband of Isabella in 1881 - Kinsella's are step children?

John Cant
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Janet
Where born: Fossoway, Perthshire
Registration district: Clackmannan
Civil Parish: Clackmannan

Ann Cant 1
Elizabeth Cant 1
Janet Cant 3
John Cant 36
Janet Dick 39
Elizth Kinsela 19
Jane Kinsella 17
John Kinsella 14
Richard Kinsella 9
William Kinsella 11
David Souter 19

Parish: Clackmannan; ED: 5; Line: 7; Year: 1881.

Gail

Dean

Dean Report 19 Feb 2008 20:03

Hi Gail

John Harrower's marriage cert states his mum and dad as colin harrower and Isabella ne beveridge.

I have tried marriage records online of Colin Harrower with Isabella Beveridge, Cant and just Isabella and there are no records.

The John Cant that i found was born 1846 and had only Edward, Elizabeth and John.

Dont think there is a relationship with the Kinsellas

I wonder if after 1871 John Cant died?? On 1881 census there is no mention of edward but there is a Helen b 1874, Isabella b 1876 and a Janet 1880 all called Harrower.

Its confusing stuff!!

Wendy

Dean

Dean Report 20 Feb 2008 09:40

Can anyone help or give tips as to where i go now?

Thanks
Wendy