Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disappeared off the face of the earth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 19 Feb 2008 20:02

This is a thread for missing ancestors, ones who seem to drop off the face of the earth never to be seen or heard of again.
Add yours here.

sprucespringclean

sprucespringclean Report 19 Feb 2008 20:10

Doreen Pocock nee Williams 11/3/1913 does anyone know of this lady born Crickhowell, Wales later moved to Doncaster, last trace of Doreen was a child born to her in Rotherham 1935.

Thankyou

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 19 Feb 2008 20:56

Sarah Jane Dinsdale,My great Grandmother disappeared around 1950 and was never heard of again. Have bought several death certs but none fit.

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 20 Feb 2008 02:34

LINDA
How do your death certificates not fit your ancestor? give us a bit more detail.
What you have to remember a death cert is as only as good as the person who reports the death.
If a person for the later time of their lives were known by a nickmane , middle name or just changed their name for reasons of their own, and the people or family around at the time of their death report it, not knowing any different, mistakes are going to be made.
May be the area is different, she may have been on holiday, and had an accident, so it would be registered in that area., or an age could be out.
My grandmother was always known as Mary, and if I had reported her death thats what I would have recorded her as. But in fact this was her middle name.
Did she remarry? without your knowledge?
When you say she disappeared , was this physically or just by paperwork?
Regards Carol

Joan

Joan Report 20 Feb 2008 04:43

EDWARD THOMAS COLLINS Born 10 March 1879 in Brighton. Served in the Anglo Boer War with Royal Engineers and took his discharge in South Africa. Re-enlisted with the Royal Engineers in WW1 and left SA for Europe. He never returned and rumour has it that he met a French girl and they had twins. He had sent for my grandmother, MATILDA GRACE MAYNARD born 1869 in Brighton and they married in SA. She was sponsored by the British Government to return to England to be reunited with him, together with numerous other wives who were relocated, but the reunion never occured and she returned to SA. Edward Thomas Collins was never seen or heard of again and has remained a mystery to the family

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 20 Feb 2008 08:34

yes I know how you feel I have been looking for a death for 6 years and have narrowed it down to a 2 year gap have bought several death certificates . asked at the local office where he lived and phoned several cemeteries nothing.

Margaret

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 20 Feb 2008 10:07

Thank you Carol,

She was living with My Nan and my Mom at the time. My Mom remembers Granny gave her and her cousin some money to go to the cinema and when they got back she was gone. Mom remembers the police coming round to the house and taking away her pension book, but as she was young doesn't remember much Else. Sarah Jane was born 1880 so was around 70 years old when she vanished. The thing is she wasn't exactly the most honest person to start with so can only assume she died under an alias. The death certs I got were all widows of Dinsdales and registered by family.

Julia

Julia Report 20 Feb 2008 10:34

Five offspring from one family, over three generations. Margaret Turner b circa 1799,Dogsthorpe, can't find death or marriage, but on official documents as witness at brother William's marriage to Eliza Webster in 1823 at St. Mary's Whittlesey,Cambs.
In the 1841 census for the above William b 1801, Dogsthorpe, and Eliza, their children are named, but also two others, Daniel Turner b 1821, and a Rebecca Turner b 1826. Rebecca could have been the neice of William, and counted in her parents census also, but have no record belonging in this family at all of a Daniel.
In the 1881 census for the household of William,b 1840, Whittlesey, Cambs, son of the above William and Eliza, there is an Eliza b 1864, who was Margaret on the 1871, and her brother Samuel Webster Turner b 1869/70. I have the birth certificate for Margaret/Eliza, and her full name is given as Margaret Eliza Wells Webster Turner.
However, after the 1881 census, the trail goes cold on these two. I cannot find deaths or marriages for either. Never been happy with the emigration theory either, although I have gone down this road as a process of elimination. But, in recent days have found a Sam Turner, as a jockey, at stables in Germany where the husband of a cousin, of the real Samuel Webster Turner, Frank Charles Arnull is a
trainer or racehoses. It is not easy to trace German records even with the help of a German speaking researcher who lives there. Samuel also had a cousin of the same name b in Norwich, and living later in Lowestoft, but I have eliminated him being the same person.

Willow

Willow Report 20 Feb 2008 10:36

Rowena Pocock nee Rancombe b1896 my great grandmother, left my great grandfather Charles Pocock circa 1930 Abertillery, Wales. They finally got divorced in 1969. I cant find a death or remarriage for her in either her maiden name or married name.

Im desperate to know where she went.