Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jackson born in Cambridgeshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 20 Feb 2008 14:24

My GGGF was born in Whittlesea in Cambs in 1820 - Thomas Jackson, his wife was born in Coates, Cambs in 1821. Trying to find parish records online for Cambs - anyone got any ideas where I could look?

Thanks in advance

Dawn

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 20 Feb 2008 14:34

o

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Feb 2008 14:51

Have you checked the IGI?

Have you tried googling?

Reg

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 20 Feb 2008 14:58

Dawn, try this:

http://www.cfhs.org.uk/ lots of Cambridge records, parish records online.. I found it very useful.

Nicky

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 20 Feb 2008 14:59

many many thanks, i'll try them

Moggie

Moggie Report 20 Feb 2008 15:00

This comes from the CFHS site.
http://www.cfhs.org.uk

1820 JACKSON Thomas W. - Finkey Lane s. of Thomas & Alice Whittlesey, St.A *

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 20 Feb 2008 15:43

Thanks Moggie, do you know where I buy a download of the entry by any chance, sorry for being thick?? also looking for marriage records for around 1840 for same area - any ideas?
rgds
Dawn

Susan

Susan Report 20 Feb 2008 15:53

From Boyds marriage index

1815/ JACKSON THOMAS / OLDFIELD ALICE/ WHITTLESEY ST MARY

Moggie

Moggie Report 20 Feb 2008 17:09

Hi Dawn
The only other info that you will find in the original entry will be the occupation of the father and possibly the actual date of birth and I think you would need to apply to the Cambridge Record Office for a copy of the baptism entry.
You might also find this site quite useful. It can take the guesswork out of pairing up marriage partners.
Hope this helps Maureen

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/CMSWebsite/SearchResult.aspx?query=camdex

CAMDEX- Marriages Index- MATTHEWS Sarah - 1838

Surname: MATTHEWS

Forename: Sarah

Middle Initial: J

Year of Marriage: 1838

Reference: 331/CE029/01/13/2

District: Cambridge (the Registration District in which the marriage took place)

Spouses Surname(s): JACKSON

Sean Subexpired

Sean Subexpired Report 21 Feb 2008 01:28

The church in Coates was not built until 1850. Your ancestors were more than likely baptised in Whittlesey St Mary's Church (or possibly Whittlesey's other CE church St Andrew's).

It is interesting to hear that cfhs have published the info online, I will have to take a look myself. Thanks!

Hutsie

Hutsie Report 21 Feb 2008 09:16

many many thanks to everyone I now have a good solid start of where to continue looking if that makes sense.

D