Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A LAST LETTER FROM A GREAT WAR SOLDIER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 21 Feb 2008 01:18

from Hubert Benton (GH) France monday 15th. Dear May, no doubt by now you have heard that our regiment is ready to go into action at any moment.We have not fdone any fighting yet but are prepared to go into the trenches as soon as the signal is given. We are very near to the fighting line and can hear the boom of the big guns very distinctly,We are here in reserve should the occasion arise when reinforcements are required. My word we have seen a bit of life already.The Germans were here where we are stationed on Oct 15th.Last Thursday march 11 we marched about 12 miles and on our way we passed many graves on the road sides - graves of our brave comrades who have died a soldier's death.Most of these graves are surounded by rough railings erected by the unfortunate man's comrades. We sleep in barns now and have to wash ourselves in a brook,but every man is as happy and merry as if he were at home.We are not allowed to leave our billets and therefore get short of certain little articles.The only articles I am in need of however are writing paper and envelopes. I am using the last to write this notw and so should be very pleased if you will kindly send some on to me. Please excuse this scribble - am just in time for post. With kind regards to all, I remain sincerely yours, Hubert.
Please write soon.
My husband's mother May Packwood received this letter at Brierley Hill on 22nd March 1915
On 13th April George Hubert Benson was wounded by a bursting shell and died in France the same day, April 13th 1915. age 23 years

he had two sisters and may have had a younger brother. May received letters from her mother soon after to an address in Brighton where she was obviously sent to recover. She married Samuel Harry Thompson in 1920 and my husband was born in 1922. There are other letters, and she later received letters from a Sgt Percy Cauper/Cowper.
Are there any Bentons or nee Benton descendants?

Ivy

Ivy Report 22 Feb 2008 23:26

Hi Elizabeth,

If you "search trees" - see green button at the top strip on this page - and look for Benton b 1850 +/- 50 years b in Brierley Hill, there are seven people on this site with Bentons from the right area in their tree. You can send a message to each one by clicking the link under their name.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Feb 2008 23:58

From CWGC:

Name: BENTON, GEORGE HUBERT
Initials: G H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment
Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.
Date of Death: 13/04/1915
Service No: 9088
Additional information: Son of George and Eliza Benton, of 6, William St., Brierley Hill, Staffs.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: T. 2.
Cemetery: NIEUWKERKE CHURCHYARD

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 Feb 2008 00:16

i have a list of all died last day ww1
such a waste