Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chrisa

chrisa Report 21 Feb 2008 10:19

Can anyone help me please? I'm trying to find out how to get my grandfathers service records. A kind GR member suggested putting his details on the tips board to see if anyone could help me here.
My granfather was born september 1897 in South Shields.
He served in the Royal Navy during both ww1 &ww2 & I believe he was also in the merchant navy . His name was James Middleton Lovely,what I do know is that he served with the Royal Field Artillery & a family 'legend' is that he was on board HMS Agamemnon.
Can anyone help me?

Sam

Sam Report 21 Feb 2008 10:29

Posted a reply on your other thread - you can't get service records for the Royal Navy:

"Prior to 1972 all RN personnel were given their service record when they discharged. For pension purposes the RN retained pay details. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 are their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases."

See here: http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/royal_navy.html

Sam x

chrisa

chrisa Report 21 Feb 2008 11:47

Thanks sam
I checked out the site you mentioned & have been on the phone to them. They're sending me some info through the post.

chrisa

chrisa Report 21 Feb 2008 11:53

Sick parrot

I thought that too. I've seen his medal index card & I'm now reallt confused. He was definitely in the Navy though. I'm wondering if maybe he was in the Army during ww1 & Navy ww2. My Dad said he was in the Merchant Navy between wars so I'll have to speak to Dad about this again.

If Navy gave service records to serfvicemen on discharge then my Dad should already have them. He has my grandads medals & was an only child.
Thanks

chrisa

chrisa Report 21 Feb 2008 11:54

Does anyone know how to get Merchant Navy service records?

chrisa

chrisa Report 21 Feb 2008 13:46

Sick Parrot
Thanks so much for all your help. I now know my grandfather was definitely in the Army during WW1.
After the war he joined the Merchant Navy & signed up as a Royal Navy reserve during WW2.
The HMS Agamemnon mystery has also I think been cleared up.
The HMS Agamemnon my Grandfather was on was in fact the 3rd Agamemnon. The Fisrt was Nelsons ship, the second was the battleship built 1908 that was involved in the Dardanelles. The 3rd was the ship my grandfather served on was originally a passenger liner built 1929 & requisitioned for use as an Auxiliary Minelayer in December 1939. After conversion she joined the 1st Minelaying Squandron & thats where the connection with my granda is. If I'd known about the 3rd Agamemnon earlier I could've saved your time.

Thanks for all your help

ps Dads going to Kew to see what he can find out

chrisa

chrisa Report 21 Feb 2008 13:49

Sick Parrot
Would you know anything about war medals? My granda recieved 2 in WW1 & definitely at least 1 in WW2 but he never actually physically had the medals.
Would that men his medals are still with the war office? & could we get his medals now?

chrisa

chrisa Report 22 Feb 2008 18:33

Sick Parrot
Thanks very much. You're a great help. I'll have to have a look into the site you've given me.
Thanks again