Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what would £1 in 1850 be worth today?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 21 Feb 2008 12:42

I have been sent a copy of a will from 1905 where the person left £33.0.0 . I found this website www.measuringworth(dot)com very useful to convert to todays value.Click on relative values - UK £.
The £33 would be worth £2,540 today.

Clou

Clou Report 21 Feb 2008 14:16

A pound from 1850 would be worth 82.37p

Clare

Katrinna

Katrinna Report 21 Feb 2008 14:35

wow i have a will form 1750 where he leaves £120 for one son, £20 each for 6 grandchildren and £40 for his daughter

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2008 15:54

I always think those sites are a bit iffy - I dont think they take into consideration the cost of every day items.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Feb 2008 19:21

This is a very fascinating subject.

There are a number of methods but the one used most often is based on purchasing power, or RPI. However, as Heather says, it is difficult to be completely accurate, and things we take for granted today never existed in the past, so how can you compare like with like?

The other thing that is not generally factored in is that over the years we have also become more wealthy as time goes by. For example we are twice as well off now as we were in 1950, and maybe 10-20 times more wealthy than in 1800.

All this means that £100 left to someone in 1800 meant a lot more to them than the equivalent £5,000 left to someone today.