Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Love letter from the 1940s found do you know Bill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 21 Feb 2008 15:38

Love letter from the 1940s found

The family of a World War II soldier is being sought after a love letter posted 68 years ago turned up among items dumped by a burglar in Hertfordshire.
The note, addressed "My Darling Bill", was found in a bag left in the garden of an empty house in Borehamwood.

Police said the letter was signed by a woman called Monica, who was delighted at Bill's marriage proposal in Kew Gardens, London.

The letter was addressed to W. J. Miller, at Aldershot Barracks, Hants.

Police said they hoped to hand back the letter to Monica or Bill's family.

In the letter, Monica said: "It is only a few hours ago since I left you but I shall not feel satisfied until I have written to tell you what a marvellous day it has been."

It closes with: "Now my sweet, I am going to close one of the happiest days of my life and only hope it has been the same for you. Good night dearest, your loving Monica."

The postmark shows the letter was sent from Borehamwood

The letter, which is still in good condition, was addressed to Gunner W. J. Miller and was addressed to 153/51st A. A. Regiment at Aldershot Barracks in Hampshire.

It was posted from Borehamwood on May 7, 1940 and on the back of the envelope, appeared "Eldon Avenue, Borehamwood", which police believe was Monica's return address.

It was kept in a small dark blue leather portfolio stamped with the initials W. F. M.

Brian Foran, from Hertfordshire Police, said: "It's such a lovely letter and it must have such sentimental value for someone.

"I truly hope we can trace relatives of Bill and Monica so the letter gets back to its rightful home."

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Feb 2008 16:06

Oh, how romantic! I hope somebody can trace Bill and Monica's family.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 21 Feb 2008 18:43

God bless the person who handed the lost letter into the Police,

I do so hope it gets back to the family...where it belongs.

These sort of things just can not be replaced.

I hope they catch the burglar...the RAT!