Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jamaica

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 21 Feb 2008 16:14

hi

My G,g,g grandad was brought to Scotland from Jamaica (with approval & consent of his parents) by the local landowner. He paid for him to be put through school and learn a trade. He eventually settled here in Scotland after meeting his wife and they had children.

I know his parents names and rough ages - do you have any advice how i would find out more about when they were born/died and if my g.g.g. grandad had any brothers/sisters?

He was born in 1829 (approx).

thanks
June

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Feb 2008 16:21

Don't know if you have seen the BBC site 'Researching African-Caribbean Family History' ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/next_steps/genealogy_article_01.shtml

Chris