Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone tell me why.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tonya

Tonya Report 21 Feb 2008 19:04

Someone would change their name back and forth..... one minute it's Charles the next it's Edgar then back to Charles?

Very confusing.

Thanks Tonya.x

Lynda

Lynda Report 21 Feb 2008 19:58

I have the same problem with some of my ancestors.
In my case 1 of my rellies had the same first name as his father so he was known by his second name by all that knew him. On the census's that he is still living with his parents he appears with his correct name. Then for the following census he appears with his second name. The next census he appears with his first name (now married - wife would know his true name) and so on it goes.
I have come to the conclusion that when the enumerators took the census's, when nobody or only one of his children were home he asked them or a neighbour and of course they probably only knew him by his second name.

Hope this helps

Lyn

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 21 Feb 2008 20:06

My own father has the same first name as his father and grandfather. When he was a child his parents always called him by his second name. All his family and school knew him by that.

When he joined the Navy he decided to use the preferred first name so my mother and everyone who knew him after call him that.

I've got several friends whose names I hadn't realised until sometime later were not actually the ones they started with.

Sue

jean,300171

jean,300171 Report 21 Feb 2008 20:24

I grew up knowing my father as patrick John He married as that!! and i sorted his furneral in that name only to find out 20 odd years later while trying to find who his mother was that i found he was John Patrick, to late to change it then LOL...Jean

Tonya

Tonya Report 22 Feb 2008 17:11

Thanks for your replies.

I always thought that on certificates you had to use your real name and that's where the confusion is one minute his marriage certificate state one name then childrens birth certificates have the other but then the childrens marriage cerificates have the name he has on his marraige certificate.

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonya x