Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 22 Feb 2008 09:50

On the 1905 marriage cert for the second marriage of Mary Ellen Carney, nee Roberts, her mother Mary is a witness.

BUT

Her mother Mary had also re-married in 1894 and her new surname was Massie, so why would she have signed the marriage cert as a witness still using the surname of Roberts some 11 years after she ceased to use the name Roberts???

Kathlyn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Feb 2008 09:55

does it state Mary was the mother,as from the many certs I have its not mentioned what relation the witness is,,,,,,,,,,,,,

could she be another relative,by chance with the same name,,,,,,,,,?

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 22 Feb 2008 10:02

Hi Kay,

I am convinced that it is her mother as the second witness was William, Mary Ellens brother. But as you said, no relationship is mentioned for a witness, but I know of no other relative/friend with the name Mary Roberts.

Kathlyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Feb 2008 10:41

She could be a friend/relative of the groom, who just happens to have the name. Most couples choose one witness each.......

As there is no indication on certs of the relationship (or otherwise) of the witnesses to the couple, you are unlikely ever to know

Reg

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 22 Feb 2008 11:06

Kathlyn

Just wondering - was her 2nd hubby still alive in 1905?

This reminded me of something in my family tree where I have a Mary Webber marrying a Joseph Sanger. After Joseph died she married an Edmund Dixon. He then died in 1884 and she reverted back to her FIRST married surname of Sanger. No idea why but she is a Sanger on the 1891 census and her death cert was under the Sanger surname stating she was the widow of Joseph Sanger - no mention of Edmund Dixon at all!

They certainly liked to confuse things for us.

Regards, Athena