Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Last attempt to find out

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Feb 2008 16:43

the real surname of my great grandmother

Born Ethel May Welton in 1892 Sheffield - true and proven

1916 states herself as Married on my grandads birth cert - not true and proven

March 1920 marries Thomas Rogan - true she was with Thomas as he is the father of her daughter, but may not have actually been married offically

December 1920 gives birth to daughter called Nora Rogan - true and proven

My father and his sister both born 1940's both dispute the name Rogan, they say she was called Warren...........They called her grannie Warren.

Told she died in the late 1950's / early 1960's but cannot find her or Thomas her husband death reg's under Rogan or Warren !!

Any tips before I give up

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Feb 2008 16:49

have you looked under Regan,by chance,,the o could be mistook for e when typing up the indexes,,,?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Feb 2008 16:51

Free BMD has the marriage of Thomas H. Rogan to a Welton, 1920, Eccleshall B. so it must have been official.

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Feb 2008 16:55

Margaret just looked at Freebmd as on my tree notes from some time back I have the marriage not confirmed so have just been to double check and still coudn't see the marriage.............How weird is that lol,
Will go and try again

His middle name is Henry so it is the same one

LOL............so Ethel married under her Maiden name of Welton and not the false married name she gave on my grandad's birth cert !

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Feb 2008 16:59

Found it

Rogan Thomas H Welton Ecclesall B. 9c 689

Is there anyway of finding out where they married without sending for the marriage cert? This may give me a clue where they may be buried

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Feb 2008 17:04

What does she say your grandad's father's name was? Could she have been engaged to him & he was killed in WW1?

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Feb 2008 17:08

Hi Angela, that side of the story is solved, she never married my grandad's father, but told everyone she had and that he died in WW1................proven a lie and I have met my grandad's half sister who knew nothing about him ............so that was a happy ending just a shame my grandad never got to know his father and his two half sisters

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Feb 2008 17:10

I dont think having the marriage certificate will be of help in finding where they maybe buried,,even a death certificate wont tell you this,,,,,,,,,,any chance she may have married again if Thomas died and became Warren,,,,,?maybe looking for his death may be useful.....??

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Feb 2008 17:14

Kay you may be right...............my Dad can't remember Thomas only remembers stories about him.

Maybe she married again but the second husband died before my Dad was born as he has never mentioned meeting anyone else and only talks about Ethel as though she was living alone when he was a boy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Feb 2008 17:27

Thomas could have died anytime....after the marriage,,1920........and second husband died before your dad had any memories of a husband with her,,,,,,
maybe a 2 nd marriage search for Ethel..?

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 24 Feb 2008 17:32

Will be starting that later tonight as got to go out now but will be back on about 8ish

Thanks Kay, sometimes another point of view is all that is needed,

Hangon though just though I think Thomas is on the wedding picture of my grandad in 1938, so he was alive then but died before my Dad ( born 1943 ) was able to remember him,

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 25 Feb 2008 19:45

Thanks to Kay I have now got one aprt of Ethel May's life sorted.

She re-married in 1846 to a Thomas Warren - hence why my Dad called her Grannie Warren and it looks as though Thomas H Rogan who she married in 1920 died in 1942 but not in their home town but in Wharedale??? why he was there we may never know.

What a lady she was..............many hidden secrets that have now been un-covered lol

Just need to find her final resting place now - to date that has drawn a blank