Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dock constable/Constable

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian Alan

Ian Alan Report 25 Feb 2008 20:47

Hi my Gr Grandad's (John Broome) marriage records state that he was a constable in 1895 and then a dock constable in 1901 how would i go about finding his service records?

Thanks

Ian

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 25 Feb 2008 21:32

Hi Ian,

My grandfather was also a police officer (scotland) I wrote to the cheif constable in a couple of counties and they searched for me........alas to no avail....found out much later he was a Police officer with the Great Western Railway! Seriously I dont think records were kept with so much detail as such that you would find with military records. If they survived at all for that lentgh of time they may be held at County Records Office or perhaps a particular force has its own Archivist or small museum.

However if you go to google and type (a guide to the archives of the police) there may be a few pointers on there.

Good Luck
Ann H

:{{{0())~}        Ian         مْر

:{{{0())~} Ian مْر Report 25 Feb 2008 21:53

The most probable place is at the records office that covers the force area where he served. My records office has the full service records of several forces. You have to bear in mind that forces have amalgamated over the years, so it might not be immediately obvious which record office has the records. It would depend on when they were placed there.

It is very unlikely that the force will still exist and certainly no docks police exist any more. For example, Northumberland Constabulary were a totally different force to the current Northumbria Police, which was formed from Newcastle City, Northumberland Constabulary, Tynemouth Borough, Gateshead Borough, South Shields Borough, River Tyne Police and Sunderland.

If you find the record, it will be a goldmine, with photos, details of family, you name it,

Ian

Ian