Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Impossibility

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

T J

T J Report 25 Feb 2008 21:15

My friend was adopted at birth and only knows via her birth cert what her natural mothers name was ............ her half brothers and sisters all have the same father....... he very kindly gave her his surname.. She doesn't know because he is not on the birth cert who her natural father is .............. any tips on how to find out please?????

Sue C

Sue C Report 25 Feb 2008 21:41

I don't think you will be able to find out who your friend's birth father was unless her mother is still alive and can be persuaded to give her the information.

Sue

T J

T J Report 25 Feb 2008 21:48

Unfortunately Sue she is not in contact with her natural family yet ........... she knows who they are but is very afraid to contact them .............

I think it is sad although she has made initial contact with social servs.

Kate

Kate Report 25 Feb 2008 21:51

I would agree with Sue. I'm adopted and I'm lucky that my parents have never hidden it from me and I've always known about this folder of paperwork to do with my adoption that is kept in our house, but I have been through mine with a fine tooth comb and I know nothing about my father except what his first and middle names are, what age he was when I was born and a little bit of vague information about his interests/ physical appearance/marital status etc.

But nowhere does it tell me his surname and I doubt very much that I could ever find out without contacting my mother (but then, this is an area I'm not even sure I want to delve into.)

My original birth certificate is like your friend's - mother's name and address mentioned, father's details blank - so I imagine the parents aren't likely to have married.